Thursday, May 31, 2018

I Opened My Ebay Store!


I finally took the plunge! One of my goals for the summer is to really step up my Ebay game, so I finally signed up for an Ebay store subscription! Earlier this month, I dogsat for a good friend of mine while she was in Paris (Lucky!) for a little over a week, so I had to end all of my Ebay listings in favor of extending my handling time. This meant that when I returned home from dogsitting, I used up all of my free listings by reactivating the ones I ended. So...this was a good opportunity to go ahead and sign up for a store subscription and start getting a lot more listings each month. I chose the Premium store subscription because that is the level that I am trying to achieve this summer, and I didn't think that the Starter or Basic subscriptions would cover it.

I was still able to source while I was dogsitting. The sourcing was actually great because my friend lives in a a larger city than us and there were plenty of thrift stores and yard sales in the area. I've already gotten most of the clothing items listed, and my goal for this weekend and early next week is to get all of the hard goods listed. Some of my favorite finds included a large box of toys that I paid $10 for. This box included many action figures, and Disney Cars toys, etc. I also found my first Tory Burch item for $10! It was a pair of moccasins that were in very good condition, and they sold within less than an hour of listing them for $50!

My goal for June is to get my active listings up to 500, so I have been listing constantly for the past few days. I think as long as the yard sales are good to me, I should be able to meet this goal and I'm very excited about it! 

I watched a lot of YouTube videos while I was dogsitting, and I'm always inspired by other resellers' inventory systems, and they make me want to revamp my own. One thing that many of them do is put their items in plastic bags and write a SKU number on the bags. One seller mentioned that she buys 100ct. bread bags for less than $3 at Walmart and uses them. I think there would be several benefits in organizing my inventory this way, but I've ultimately decided that the cons outweigh the pros.

Pros: 
~I could fit more items in each bin.
~Shipping would be easier. 

Cons:
~TIME 
~It's just not necessary.
~The plastic bags are terrible for the environment. 

Ultimately, the first and last con really nixed the idea for me. Writing SKU numbers and putting my items in plastic bags would add too much time for each item. Also, the plastic bags are bad for the environment. I feel terrible when I leave my reusable grocery bags at home, I definitely don't want to be responsible for a ton of plastic bread bags floating around! In my current inventory system, I have a letter on each of my bins, and I put this letter at the end of the description in each listing. This system works well for me, and I really don't need to fix what isn't broken. 

Poshmark is still doing really well for me as I share my closet several times a day. It has quickly risen to be my second best platform, under Ebay. Mercari has been dead for me for a while. I've had about one sale a week on Mercari for the past couple months, whereas I was having a couple sales a day at one point. This is a total bummer, but I feel that Poshmark is picking up the slack, so I'm trying not to let it get me down. I've read other Mercari sellers' posts on Facebook mentioning slow sales, so perhaps it isn't just me. This is why I think it is so important to have my items cross posted and not rely on one platform for my business. 


I've been reading a really great series this month called Wayward Children by Seanan McGuire. It was recommend to me by my library friend who I dogsat for, and I can not stop listening to it. I really enjoy the writing style in this series, and it's been refreshing as I haven't been enjoying the books I've been reading lately. She recommended it to me because I enjoyed Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children so much, and I have to say that this series is actually better so far. 

~*~

Off to another week of listing! Fingers crossed that the yard sales aren't rained out this week!

~*~

“She was a story, not an epilogue.” ― Seanan McGuire (Every Heart a Doorway)

~*~ 

Over and out. 

6 comments:

  1. Good for you for opening a store! You have fantastic goals too! Before I started concentrating on vintage toys, I sold clothes. Yes, I did buy the plastic bread bags at Walmart. I really did like that added protection for for my clothing when shipping.

    Have you ordered any of the free shipping supplies from the post office? One item that was a must for me when selling clothing and shoes was the padded flat-rate envelope. (This can only be ordered online. You cannot get it in the brick and mortar post office.) You will see that many sellers ship their shoes in this, and it is cheaper than the free post office shoe box, which customers really like. (I believe the flat rate is now about $6.95)

    Another thing I do is order little thank-you stickers from eBay to put on my pkg. before I slip it in the envelope or box. These are inexpensive and come from China, but I have never had a problem receiving them.

    It looks like you have a good inventory system that works well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Isabella! The bread bags for shipping was one of the main things I liked about the idea, but I do often use tissue paper and the like when shipping, and this seems to work well for me.

      I love Padded Flat Rate Envelopes! I order them by the hundred online. I ship all of my jeans in them. I've never tried to ship shoes in them, but I've seen other sellers do it. I will definitely give it a try!

      I love the thank-you sticker idea! I've been making my thank you notes. I started writing them out on the back of my day-to-day calendar pages, and now I make thank-you notes with a large scalloped punch and scrapbooking paper.

      Delete
  2. The quoted price for the flat-rate envelope is for those who have a store. You will like the reduced shipping rates now that you have a store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! The shipping discounts on Ebay are the best! They make such a difference.

      Delete
  3. You are a pro! I haven't told you anything you don't already know. Good luck as you ramp up your store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You are so sweet! I'm still willing to take advice anywhere I can get it. I'm loving your comments! <3

      Delete