Sunday, April 1, 2018

Cat Cots and Other Critters

Happy Easter! It's finally April, and now the yard sales are starting up again. I've been able to go two weekends in a row now. I've been on a vintage toy kick lately and have managed to find some 80's Care Bear toys and a Cinderella Ugly Step Sister Barbie doll. I enjoy watching States Place videos with a Mighty Mushroom because they talk a lot about researching different things and expanding your knowledge into different areas. I think vintage toys are a fun thing to look for and sell, and it's something that keeps my interest.

Some other finds include a sewing machine I picked up for mom at $60. It is a techy sewing machine that is almost $200 at Walmart, and it had all of the accessories in it and everything was still in the Styrofoam. The guy I bought it from said that his wife bought it to make clothes for their daughter but then she never used it. We've had it in the house for two days, and Mom has already used it a ton. 

I also picked up a nice fan for $2. We pick all of these up when we find them cheap because our air conditioner is elderly and doesn't cool like it used to. I also picked up this "cat cot" (as I'm calling it) for $1. My cat, Polka Dot, thoroughly sniffed it out before laying on it and now he and Miss Kitty love it. A dollar well spent!



Also, there was one yard sale that had some decent clothes and I was able to pick up a few pairs of jeans. When I got them home and was tagging them, I noticed movement out of the corner of my eye. One pair of jeans had a huge centipede in it, and I am a huge bug-aphobe! I ran the pair of jeans out on the porch and tried to shake him out. The centipede won that battle and I ditched the jeans on the banister. I then brought out all the other pieces I'd gotten that day and shook them out as well and steamed them for good measure. Did I mention I'm not a fan of bugs? The next day, Mom had the pair of jeans and said she was able to shake the centipede out. I was just going to let him have them at that point, but I washed them and they are good as new now. 

~*~

In other news, I signed up for this program called Scribd because I think Audible is crazy expensive. The reviews of Scribd online weren't very good, but the idea of unlimited audiobooks for $8.99 a month is too good to not give a chance. I'm still in the free 30-day trial period, but I really like it so far. I finished Unwind by Neal Shusterman, but they don't have the second in the series which is super disappointing. However, I looked up all of the books in my Goodreads "Want to Read" list and there were many available on Scribd, so I'm not giving up hope yet. 

~*~

Poshmark has a new feature where you can send a private discount to people who have liked a certain item. I have mixed feelings about this, but I've been using it and it's had good results. I've been running these private discounts every Friday, and last Friday I had four sales because of it. When the feature first launched, I had many sales the first day. This feature has been helping me move things in my Poshmark store, however, in order to sell using this method the price has to be marked down significantly. It requires that you send the buyer a discount AND a shipping discount. This means that on lower priced items, this takes at least $4 off the asking price, which on a $12 item is pretty significant, not to mention Poshmark's fee. I've also noticed that buyers simply buying items for the asking price are becoming less and less common. Most, if not all, of my recent sales have been due to some type of discount, so I've started adding $5-$10 to the asking price of my items on Poshmark because after discount and fees I'm not making nearly as much on Poshmark sales as I would if I sold the same item on Mercari or Ebay. This way, I am able to make closer to my asking price and still enjoy selling on Poshmark. 

~*~

"Do I dare disturb the universe?" 
- T.S. Elliot

~*~ 

Over and out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment