Monday, April 9, 2018

Rainy Yard Sale Day

It was a very rainy weekend here. My class was canceled Friday, so I decided to go yard sale. Since I had a long essay to write for my Literature class, I wanted to hit all of the yard sales on Friday so I could focus on school work over the weekend. Several of the yard sales were canceled because of the rain, but I was still able to hit a few. (Of course I forgot my rain coat!)

The first yard sale I hit was a $5 fill a bag sale. The person holding the yard sale said that his grandmother had recently passed away and she was a collector/hoarder. There were a lot of vintage Disney items, and it was a really fun dig. I only picked up a few items because a lot of her stuff was really dirty and hadn't been stored properly. I did manage to pick up an Aladdin Micky Mouse lunch box, a Micky Mouse Etch-a-Sketch, a Sesame Street pillow case, a Raggedy Ann plate from the 60's, and a set of Star Wars cup lids. I paid $7 at this yard sale, $5 for a bag and $2 for the bag of Star Wars items. This wasn't anything super exciting, but it was a fun dig and I enjoy finding unique items like these.

At another yard sale, there was a large box of what I thought were sheets. As I was digging through them, the lady running the yard sale informed me that they were clown pants that her husband's father and grandfather used to go "clowning" in. I loved that she was using the word "clown" as a verb! They were all handmade with nice vintage fabric. There was a ton of fabric to each suit, and she only wanted a $1 a piece. I picked up three, that were not worn out, to recycle the fabric for Mom's sewing projects. This was a total win!

Part of the fun of yard sales is that I usually come out of each week with an interesting story. Even though I don't always find something awesome, going to yard sales is always an adventure.

~*~

"Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive not after he is dead" -F. Scot Fitzgerald (The Great Gatsby)

~*~

Over and out.

1 comment: