Sunday, May 8, 2016

The Visit - Review *No Spoilers!*



My mom and I recently rented The Visit from Redbox. I had heard how good it was by a couple of friends, and I was not disappointed.

The movie opens with the mother of the two main characters, Becca and Tyler, talking about her childhood. It is then shortly revealed that the movie is a "documentary" that the daughter is filming. She is filming this documentary about her and her brother's visit to their grandparents whom they have never met. When they arrive at their grandparents house, all seems normal, except for the grandfather's frequent visits to an outside shed and their grandmother's erratically outlandish behavior. As the week trudges on, the grandparents "normal old people problems" become more and more alarming, and the episodes grandma has at night seems like more than a normal case of dementia. As events grow stranger by the day, terrible secrets are revealed, throwing the entire visit into chaos.

I really liked this movie! I like horror movies that are creepy but don't have a lot of violence in them, and this movie definitely checks both of those boxes. I've also seen many people online saying that it's almost a horror-comedy, and I could see that. There were a few parts that were funny.

The only cringe-worthy parts were when the boy, Tyler, rapped. I'll admit that rap isn't exactly my genre of choice, but even I knew that this was bad. I think he only does it two or three times, but it's definitely worth skipping when he does.

I give this movie a 6.5/10.

Happy Mother's Day!!!

1 comment: